No one wants to live in pain, but no one should put their health at risk in an effort to be pain free. In some cases, doctor-prescribed opioids are appropriate. However, opioids have many risks, such as depression, overdose, and addiction. In response to the growing opioid epidemic, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released opioid prescription guidelines. In these guidelines, the CDC recommended physical therapy as a safe and effective alternative to opioids for pain management.
Physical therapy is effective for numerous conditions, and the CDC cited “high quality evidence” supporting exercise as part of a physical therapist treatment for familiar conditions like low back pain, hip and knee osteoarthritis, and fibromyalgia.
Why Choose Physical Therapy for Pain Management?
- Safe alternative to surgery
- Increases mobility and independence
- Decreases pain and prevents other health problems through movement and exercises
- Opioids only mask the sensation of pain and have side effects that can include depression, overdose, addiction and withdrawal symptoms
How Do Physical Therapists Manage Pain?
- Exercise: Physical therapists will design a personalized treatment plan for you that includes different exercises to help manage your current pain and prevent it from returning.
- Manual Therapy: Physical therapists use a hands-on approach for treating pain. Physical therapists use manipulation, mobilizations and other techniques to promote healing.
- Education: Physical therapists help patients understand why they are experiencing pain – instead of masking the pain through prescriptions. Physical therapists educate patients on how to prevent their pain from returning.
By using physical therapy as a first-line treatment, patients can reduce cost, reduce the need for opioid prescriptions and surgery, and reduce the incidence of pain recurrence.
Start managing your pain today, request an appointment.
Request an Appointment:
Take your first steps toward a pain free life – request an appointment today!
NO PRESCRIPTION NEEDED – You DO NOT need a doctor’s prescription to request an appointment with us.
Unsure if Physical Therapy is the Right Path for You?
We offer FREE screens to discuss if your injury or condition would respond well to our physical therapy services.
About Blue Sky Therapy
Blue Sky Therapy owns and operates six outpatient therapy clinics in Ohio and Florida. Ohio locations include Akron, Mansfield, Marion, and Warren. Florida locations include Bonita Springs and Naples.
Blue Sky Therapy also partners with skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, and home health agencies to provide innovative physical, occupational, and speech therapy services. Interested in partnering with Blue Sky Therapy? LEARN MORE about Blue Sky Therapy.