Physical Therapy can be fun, but nobody said it would be easy! Not seeing progress will leave you feeling in the pits, so we’ve provided 5 tips to a successful recovery. We want you to understand your condition and symptoms as well as maximize on your Physical Therapy Plan of Care and home exercises.
Follow these tips and you’ll be speeding off in no time!
- 1. Commit to your PT appointments – PT appointments are an integral part of your recovery and rehabilitation process and your commitment to these appointments will determine how quickly you recover. Even if you are experiencing pain, please avoid skipping your appointment. Physical therapists are highly skilled in assessing and effectively treating pain and can adjust your treatment for that day to help you.
- 2. Do your “Homework” – During your initial evaluation, you will be given a Home Exercise Program (HEP) and instructions including therapeutic exercises that are hand selected by your physical therapist to complete at home to aide in consistent progress and faster recovery. These exercises are recommended to help improve muscle strength and joint mobility and often require repetition and consistency to see results.
- 3. Remain Active: Motion is Lotion – Try to keep moving as much as you can. Research shows that staying active is very beneficial in your recovery process. It is good to continue your day-to-day activities and participate in light exercises, such as walking. Motion helps lubricate the joints and keep things moving smoothly, just like a well-oiled machine!
- 4. Hurt Does Not Always Equal Harm – Many people with pain initially limit their activity because they are afraid to cause more damage. As mentioned above, staying active is very important in recovery. The human body is remarkably strong and resilient, so it is unlikely that your normal day-to-day activities will cause more harm. With this in mind, it is important to be conscious of your pain, but not let it scare you! Our bodies were made to MOVE.
- 5. Changes in Your Symptoms – If your symptoms worsen, contact your Physical Therapist immediately. Keep in mind, it is expected to have an increase in soreness when starting new exercises. This means the muscles are working! If your soreness does not subside or you have an increase in pain, take a break and call your Physical Therapist. We are here for you.
Get started treating your pain at home!
Click on the pain you have below to view an exercise that you can complete in the comfort of your own home!
Request an Appointment:
Take your first steps toward a pain free life – request an appointment today!
NO PRESCRIPTION NEEDED – Thanks to Direct Access, you DO NOT need a doctor’s prescription to request an appointment with us.
Unsure if Physical Therapy is the Right Path for You?
We offer FREE screens to discuss if your injury or condition would respond well to our physical therapy services.
About Blue Sky Therapy
Blue Sky Therapy owns and operates six outpatient therapy clinics in Ohio and Florida. Ohio locations include Akron, Mansfield, Marion, and Warren. Florida locations include Bonita Springs and Naples.
Blue Sky Therapy also partners with skilled nursing facilities, assisted living facilities, and home health agencies to provide innovative physical, occupational, and speech therapy services. Interested in partnering with Blue Sky Therapy? LEARN MORE about Blue Sky Therapy.