Did you know that The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and the American Speech Language-Hearing Association supported May 1, 2019 as the official launch date for IDDSI implementation in the United States?
What is IDDSI?
- The International Dysphagia Diet Standardization Initiative:
- The International Dysphagia Diet Standardization Initiative (IDDSI) was founded in 2013 with the goal of developing new global standardized terminology and definitions to describe texture modified foods and thickened liquids used for individuals with dysphagia of all ages, in all care settings, and all cultures.
- The IDDSI is a framework that has been translated into a number of languages as part of worldwide implementation.
- A review of existing standards, available evidence and collaborative efforts from stakeholder groups has resulted in a framework that is culturally sensitive, measurable and applicable to individuals of all age groups in all care settings.
What is Blue Sky Doing to Implement IDDSI?
- Departments are working together (Therapy, Dietary, Activities, Administrators, Nursing, and Food service employees) to ensure appropriate adherence to this new, exciting standardization.
- Collaboration is key! Blue Sky Therapy is ahead of the game with top notch education plans to ensure your SLPs are competency trained in order to provide quality care.
You should take advantage of this awesome initiative and our implementation resource to better serve your residents and mitigate risk. Join the movement towards standardized food/liquid textures in efforts to improve overall safety of residents and to be one step closer to outcome gathering! Have questions or want to get started with IDDSI? Contact us today!